Monday, October 29, 2012

Kindergarten

This year I started K with jubilee! It is going so well, with only one hiccup so far.
For reading/phonics instruction, I started with the pathway reading series. I had heard such fabulous things about their early readers that I decided to use their whole learning to read program- big mistake.  It was so busy work and drilling focused, that Jubilee was getting frustrated and bored after a few weeks of doing that.

  I decided to make a quick change to doing things the Charlotte mason way.  I am using the methods described on joyfulshepherdess.blogspot.com. You can check out her posts on reading if you want more details.  Big differences are that we are not going over and over letter sounds that J already knows, but are using letter tiles to build words! She is delighted to be reading actual words. I will still use the pathway early readers when Jubilee is ready for them, but not the workbooks.

For handwriting, we are using "Delightful Handwriting" from simplycharlottemason.com. I just started that today, and the first day was Fabulous! We practiced the first letter stroke in a pan of rice, in the air, on a chalkboard, and on her practice page.  I think she will enjoy the handwriting, as writing is a big interest to her.

For math, I am using a pre-miquon book found here: www.nurturedbylove.ca/resources/cuisenairebook.pdf
We will move on to Miquon orange and Life of Fred elementary after we finish that.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we read a story and do an activity to go with it.  I get ideas for activities from "Picture Book Activities, Fun and Games for Preschoolers Based on 50 Favorite Children's Books", by Trish Kuffner.  Hope always joins us for this part.  I cannot recommend this book enough! Fabulous book recommendations and full of fun things for us to do together.

Tuesdays I practice sewing with Jubilee- she is loving sewing lessons.  Our first project is a tooth  bag, as her first loose tooth could fall out any time now.

Thursdays we have painting day- Hope's Favorite time of the week!

I hope to initiate a once a week nature study time where we go on a walk or head to the beach, but we are not quite there yet.  Hopefully that will become a part of our weekly rhythm soon.

So that is my usual week in homeschooling. We've gotten off to a great start.  Hopefully it will continue that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment